Sidecar is a new feature introduced in macOS Catalina where you can use your iPad as a display that extends or mirrors your Mac desktop.
If you are having issues getting Sidecar to work in macOS Big Sur, these are the things to check:
- Both devices must be compatible to use Sidecar
Check the list below if your devices are compatible to use Sidecar:
- MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
- MacBook introduced in 2016 or later
- MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
- iMac introduced in 2017 or later, plus iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
- iMac Pro
- Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
- Mac Pro introduced in 2019
- iPad Pro: all models
- iPad (6th generation) or later
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- Both devices must be signed in to iCloud
Ensure all of the devices that will use Sidecar are all signed in to the iCloud with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.
- Both devices must be within 10 meters (30 feet)
To use Sidecar wirelessly, both devices must be within 10 meters (30 feet) of each other and have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff turned on. Also, make sure that the iPad is not sharing its cellular connection and the Mac is not sharing its Internet connection.
- Your iPad must be set to trust your Mac
To use Sidecar over USB, make sure that your iPad is set to trust your Mac.