LAST UPDATED: JUN 14, 2022
You receive the following error message when you try to download and install Mac OS Catalina:
"Gateway Timed Out"
This can happen when
- a lot of users are downloading or installing Mac OS Catalina at the same time.
- there is slow Internet connection.
- your Mac does not have enough storage space available.
Restart your Mac in Safe Mode
- Start up in Safe Mode
- Click the icon on the top-left corner and choose Restart.
- While your Mac restarts, press and hold down the SHIFT ⇧ key —the logo should appear on the screen.
- When the login window appears, release the SHIFT ⇧ key and log in.
You may be required to log in twice if you have FileVault turned on.
- Check if you are in Safe Mode
- Click the icon on the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select About this Mac.
- Click System Report.
- In the new pop-up window, select Software.
- Next to Boot Mode, you should see the word Safe.
To leave Safe Mode, shutdown or restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup. This will return you to your desktop in Normal Mode.
Clear download cache in App Store
- Go to Finder and press COMMAND ⌘ + SHIFT + G.
- Locate ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore and empty this folder.
- Reboot your Mac and try to download macOS Catalina again.
Check your Internet connection
- Go to Apple menu, then click on System Preferences.
- Select Network from the Control Panel.
You can try switching from Wi-Fi connection to an Ethernet cable to ensure that your Internet connection is as stable as possible.
Check the RAM and available storage
- Click the icon on the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac.
- Make sure you have less than 4 GB of memory, then click on the Storage tab on the same window.
- You will see how much storage has been used and how much free space is available (make sure you have at least 16 GB of free disk space)
- If your computer doesn't have enough space, you can add more memory or free up as much as disk space as possible.
How to prepare for the new OS?
To prepare for upcoming software releases, it’s best to free up some precious diskspace on your Mac.
Cleaner One is the best FREE Mac cleaning app available. It offers all-in-one Mac cleaning features including: Memory Free, Disk Clean, Uninstall App, and many more. Cleaner One also offers great solutions to help get rid of all the culprits that are known to slow down your Mac — and will help you prepare for any and all upcoming OS. Get Cleaner One now.
How helpful was this article?
Thank you for your feedback!
Feedback entity isn't available at the moment. Try again later.