Updating your device’s firmware or operating system can help improve your device's security as it often fixes bugs, contains new features, and protects you from security vulnerabilities. Make sure to install the latest available updates to keep your network safe and efficient.
What is the risk of outdated device software?
Hackers can take advantage of unpatched vulnerabilities to gain unauthorized access to your network.
Update Device Software on Routers, IP cameras, and other Network Devices
- Know the device model number
You may check the model number from the following:
- Printed on device package or sticker at the bottom of the device
- Device Web Interface (usually on routers, firewalls, or IP cameras
- Device display menu (usually on Smart TVs)
- Know how to install firmware update on your device
You may search the instructions through the support website offered by your device’s manufacturer. Make sure that you search for the exact model number of your device.
- Prepare your device for firmware update
It is recommend that you have a stable power supply connected to your device when doing a firmware update.
- For devices that use Web Interface such as routers, firewalls, or IP cameras, you may check the default Gateway Address on your computer’s network connection status. Enter this address into a web browser's address bar, then enter your login information.
- For devices that has Display Menu, such as Smart TV, Thermostat, and other appliances, make sure that the device is connected to the Internet, then access the menu using the device itself.
- Update the firmware
Here are some tips when doing the firmware update:
- Look for the "Firmware," "Upgrade," or "Update" page. The page name varies depending on the device manufacturer. The location varies, but you can usually find it in the "Administration”, "Settings”, "Utilities," or "Maintenance" section.
- Depending on the device model, a link to get the latest firmware version may be provided or the device may download it on its own.
- For additional assistance, contact your device's manufacturer.
Update Device Software on Desktops, Laptops and Mobile Devices
Improve your PC's Health
Download Trend Micro Maximum Security to fix common problems and get everything running at top speed.