A WiFi password is a security measure that prevents an unauthorized person to access your wireless network.
If you have a weak WiFi password, attackers can easily crack it and access your wireless home network, steal your bandwidth and sensitive data, and even view your network traffic.
What is the recommended WiFi password?
- It must have at least eight characters.
- A combination of uppercase and lowercase letters.
- A combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
How do I change my WiFi password?
- Using your computer or mobile device, open a web browser. You can use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox.
- Log in to the Admin console of your home router.
Different router manufacturers have different ways of logging in to the Router Admin Console. You may refer to your Router Manual for more details. The most common is http://192.168.1.1.
- On the address bar, type the Router IP address you took note on the previous step then press ENTER.
- Go to Wireless > Security menu option.
Other router manufacturers follow a similar path to Wireless Security. Check the website of your router manufacturer or the Router Manual for more details.
- Change the encryption option to WPA2-PSK. If WPA2 is not one of the options, you may need to upgrade the router firmware.
You may also see a WPA2-Enterprise setting. This enterprise version of WPA2 is intended more for corporate environments.
- Create a strong password.
- Click Save or Apply to confirm.
You may need to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
- Reconnect all your wireless devices.
- On your device, select your new WiFi SSID.
- Enter your new WiFi password.
Safeguard your Home Network
Use Trend Micro Home Network Security to shield your smart home including your router and connected devices from security threats.