ESTIMATED READING TIME: 3 minutes
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is a Scam?
- How to spot an online scam
- What happens when you respond to an online scam
- How to avoid becoming a scam victim
- What to do after realizing you've been scammed
- Avoid Scams with Trend Micro
What is a Scam?
A scam is a dishonest way to get money or information by deceiving people.
Scam techniques, such as fraud, deception, hoaxes, swindles, and cons, have evolved and are happening more and more through the Internet. Phishing emails, social media, SMS, phone calls, and malicious apps are some of the new methods scammers use to get their victim's files, personal information, and money.
It is essential to understand how scams work to prevent falling for one.
How to spot an online scam
Here are some ways to recognize a potential Internet scam:
- Someone you don't know contacts you unexpectedly via email or phone calls.
- You are requested to make a money transfer immediately as if it were an emergency.
- They entice you with too-good-to-be-true offers like big prizes, promotions, and deals.
- They ask you to provide personal information such as passwords or PINs.
- They claim to be from a government organization or company.
Examples of Internet scams today
- Email Scams
- SMS Scams or Spam Text Messages
- Voicemail Hacking
- Social Media Scams
- Fake Ads
- Online Shopping Scams
- Tech Support Scams or Phone Scams
- Investment & Crypto Scams
What happens when you respond to an online scam
By signing onto fake websites, entering your credit card number, or verbally disclosing personal information over the phone, you might unknowingly give up your personal information to scammers.
Once scammers have your information, they can use it to steal money directly from your bank accounts and credit cards. Or worse, take over your online accounts and cause more damage.
How to avoid becoming a scam victim
Educating oneself about the ins and outs of an online scam is the most effective way for users to avoid being targeted by these attacks. Until then, follow these recommendations:
Practice good digital hygiene
- Never disclose sensitive or confidential information.
- Think before you click. Avoid opening links and attachments from unknown senders.
- Create a strong and unique account passwords. Use Trend Micro Password Generator to help you generate better passwords for your accounts.
TIP: Change your passwords regularly. Trend Micro recommends you update them at least every three months.
- Set up Two-Factor Authentication for your online accounts.
Enhance your device security and privacy
- Turn on the Firewall for your Windows PC.
- Update your operating system and web browsers regularly.
- Shield your email from scams with a good Antivirus software like Trend Micro Maximum Security.
- Avoid Scam Websites with Trend Micro ID Protection. Before you visit a website, Trend Micro ID Protection looks at it and warns you if it seems suspicious or dangerous. It's like having someone check the safety of a road before you drive on it. Here's how to do it:
- Install It: To get this protection, you need to add it to your web browser.
- Stay Safe: Once it's installed, if you accidentally try to visit a bad website, Trend Micro ID Protection will stop you, just like a traffic light stops you from going when it's not safe.
- Check Ratings: You can also click on the Trend Micro icon in your browser to see how safe a website is. It's like looking at a restaurant's rating before you decide to eat there.
- Floating Icon: There's a little icon that sits in the corner of your screen. It gives you quick info about the website you're on, like a small helper that keeps you informed.
GUARD YOURSELF AGAINST SCAMS!
Discover how to protect yourself from scams, online fraud, and dive into essential topics to protect your digital identity, and care for your devices.
Visit our 👉 Cybersecurity Learning Center! 👈
What to do after realizing you've been scammed
- Change your online account passwords immediately.
- Contact your financial institutions, including your bank, and see how they can help you further.
- Report the scam to prevent more victims.
Avoid Scams with Trend Micro
Trend Micro analyzes all aspects of websites, emails, and messages to give you the best protection against fraud, scams, and cybercrime. With features like antivirus software, firewall protection, and password management, Trend Micro helps safeguard your devices and online accounts from scams and other malicious activities.
I am not yet a Trend Micro user
- For PC users, install Trend Micro Maximum Security to stop malware, fraud, phishing, email hacking, and other targeted attacks on your PC and online accounts.
- For mobile users, get the same protection with ...
- Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android phones and tablets.
- Trend Micro Mobile Security for iPhones and iPads.
- Trend Micro Check to stop spam and scam texts, and look up scammers websites and scammer phone numbers. Get it now! It's FREE. *Available only in the US.
I have Trend Micro Security installed
Enable the best Trend Micro settings to protect you from online scams. Follow these guides: