Here's what you need to do if Trend Micro ID Security warned you that the personal information you entered has been leaked and compromised online.
Password Information Leaked
If your password is compromised, change your password on all websites that currently use it:
- Make sure you do not use the same password twice on any online accounts.
- Use the Password Checker feature in Trend Micro ID Security to see if a password you are creating or changing had circulated on the Dark Web. Avoid using a leaked password.
- Use the Trend Micro Password Generator to help you create strong, unique and secure passwords.
- Turn ON Two-factor Authentication on any website that offers it. It adds an extra layer of protection that makes it nearly impossible to defeat.
Credit Card Information Leaked
If your credit card number is compromised, contact your card issuer and follow their instructions to have the card canceled.
Bank Information Leaked
If your bank account information is compromised, contact your bank and follow their instructions to secure your account and funds.
Social Security Number Leaked
If your social security number is compromised:
- Report the identity theft to the responsible government agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- File a police report with your local jurisdiction. While your city or county may not be able to investigate this crime, having a police eport can help you to recover from losses resulting from identity theft.
- Request a credit freeze with each of the three major consumer credit bureaus. A credit freeze will not affect your credit score, but it will prevent lenders accessing your credit report to open new accounts, rent apartments, apply for loans, etc.
- Request an extended fraud alert from the consumer credit bureaus (if you have filed a police report), which lasts for seven years.
- Contact the fraud department of any company where you suspect the fraudulent use of your social security number. Let them know that you have been the victim of identity theft and follow that company's guidance on changing all of your login and password information.
- Request a free credit report. Look for and dispute any information you believe to be fraudulent.
Email Address Leaked
If your email address is compromised:
- Update the passwords of accounts connected to the hacked email address to prevent additional damage. If you're having trouble creating strong passwords, you can use the Trend Micro Password Generator.
- Once your email address has been compromised, you might start receiving spam emails. Simply being aware of them can help you stop fraudsters from stealing your private information. Refer to this guide: How to recognize and avoid a Scam Email.
- Set up Two-Factor Authentication for your online accounts.
- How to install Trend Micro ID Security
- Why do I need to select a country?
- Why can I not verify my email address?
- How does ID Security know if my data is compromised?
- Why email address is needed to get notifications
- What happens if I remove my email from monitoring?
- What happens if my subscription expired?